News & Events
Jul 06, 2023
Summer Youth Program launched at Maclean Housing
With the beginning of summer comes the launch of a new collaborative program with the Kiwassa Neighbourhood house. The nearby Maclean Housing complex (operated by BC Housing) is home to many young Strathcona kids; and the community was asking for a space, support, and programs for these kids; a space for exploration, safety, resources, and one they could be proud of and call their own. This new program aims to provide exactly that.
Monday - Friday this program operates on a drop in basis (although registration is required) and provides free breakfast, lunch and a wealth of activities for kids 9-18 years old. Throughout the summer, Strathcona CPC staff and volunteers will be supporting this program and these youth. Among our many goals, some examples are to:
- Provide free programming/activities these youth may not otherwise have access to;
- Provide strong positive role models;
- Earn their trust, and be an ally in the neighbourhood;
- Provide them with a safe link to the VPD and other resources;
- Deliver safety and community themed workshops and activities;
A huge thank you to Kiwassa Neighbourhood house for their partnership and the leadership of Youth Coordinator, Rohani, and to BC Housing for supporting this project.